My background is in corporate Information Technology and Management Consulting, but in both roles I was involved in adult education, sometimes internally and often for outside clients. I also have a varied background here at St. Pius V Church, having been a parishioner since I was 4 years old; serving as Youth Minister; serving as an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion since 1986; with my wife, coordinated parish marriage preparation for 10 years; and am serving as sacristan for the 7:45 am parish Mass and for student body Masses. Additionally, my wife and I served at every level of leadership within Catholic Engaged Encounter, culminating in being selected as National Executive Team alongside Fr. Michael Brennock, OSA (formerly of our parish). My undergrad education is in political science and management; I am still mulling over pursuing a Master's degree, probably in theology. My passions are theology, history and constitutional law, and I sometimes incorporate history (and theology) into skills practice in the Lab.
I am in my fourth full year as Technology Coordinator, having started on a part-time basis providing technical support. I really enjoy working with students of all ages and helping them discover and practice new skills. The excitement of learning how technology can support and enrich their learning is infectious.
LAB SERVICES - CHROMEBOOKS
I administer our technology 1:1 program through the deployment of Chromebooks in grades 3 through 8. Through the program:
- Parents commit to supporting the program, both functionally and financially through the purchase of a Chromebook (one-time) and insurance (annually).
- Chromebooks are issued to all students in grades 3 through 8.
- Loaner Chromebooks are made available on a daily basis to those students (with insurance) in need.
- Chromebooks have their operating systems re-set to correct minor problems.
- Students (with insurance) bring their Chromebooks to the Lab to troubleshoot problems.
- If necessary, replacement Chromebooks are issued and the malfunctioning Chromebook is sent for repair. Note: most inoperative Chromebooks are returned used and in most cases are replaced with a reconditioned, used Chromebook.
- 7th and 8th grade students use the Acer C720 Chromebook; 4th through 6th grade students use the Lenovo N22/N23 Chromebook. 3rd grade students use the ASUS C100PA-DB2 Touch Chromebook Flip.
- Students with siblings that have graduated may re-use their sibling's Chromebook upon payment of the annual insurance.
OTHER TECHNICAL SUPPORT
- Social Media - I maintain the school's Facebook page, Twitter and Instagram accounts, and the school website.
- Parental communications - I develop the Weekly Reminders and email them to parents. School-wide parental notifications through our phone app are sent by our principal, Dr. Bravo.
- Email lists - student and parent email lists are developed and maintained by me
- System administrator - along with Dr. Bravo, I administer the Sycamore School Information System, the Renaissance Learning system (Accelerated Reader and STAR testing), the school domains, and the school email system.
- School Internet and WiFi network - I monitor and apply fixes to the school Internet and WiFi network. The WiFi network covers every part of the campus, indoors and out, including the Parish Hall.
- Teacher laptops - I provide technical support for teacher laptops and Chromebooks.
- I maintain the cart and touchscreen Chromebooks for the Grade TK - 2 classrooms. These are used for individual testing in Accelerated Reader, Spelling City, and iXL.
- STAR Testing - I coordinate the completion of STAR testing for all students
- Training and education - I provide education and training support to the faculty and administration as needed
I select, train, and coordinate 7th and 8th grade students who serve as our on-campus Geek Squad. The Geek Squad supports the setup and execution of audio/visual equipment for assemblies, picnics, and other school activities. This year, Geek Squad students will learn how to set up and use a sound mixing board for events held in the Parish Hall.